All attached by screws and sealant
I picked up mineral spirits and a scraper at Home Depot and started to work on getting the old, crusted sealant off of the roof. The job was easier than expected and very satisfying.
I cut out a cardboard template the size of my proposed solar panel and set it on the roof. There will be a 2 inch overhang on the lateral side of the panel. I don’t think it’s going to be a problem.
I spoke with Roger at AM Solar to design a solar system. He was very informative. I didn’t realize the refrigerator would be drawing so many amps even while running in propane mode. The CO monitor and smoke detectors will be drawing 24 hours. He thinks I can get away with 2-100W panels but thought I should go back to my cardboard templates to see if I could fit another 100W panel on the roof. There is a smaller 100W panel (more expensive) that might facilitate a third panel. Looks like I need to cut another (smaller) template and play around with the positioning. I’m not sold on the third panel but I’d like to look at all options.
Roger also explained that some MPPT solar chargers discharge radio interference that might adversely affect my plans for a ham radio install. There may be ways to shield the charger or use distance to my advantage. I might get the radio and play around with it after the solar system is installed. If all else fails, I could set the radio up as a mobile station in a box. While I’m not much of a survivalist, after living through Hurricane Katrina I recognize the importance of “low tech” communication in a disaster situation.